Are you thinking of something you can give as a gift? One of the great things you could give is something handmade. You can make something simple but can make it personal which will add charm to your gift. In addition to that, you can also make one for your own. You can also even have it as a business.
One of the things you can make is a scented candle which is great for this fall and upcoming winter. You will be able to relax with its scent and glow of it. The good news is it is easy to make them. You will just need the right tools and materials, and you will have the skill in making them in no time.
The Materials Needed
You will need is wax. Soy wax is said to the best because it burns longer. Make sure it is also unscented to add your preferred one later. Then you will also need a braided wick and tabs for sustenance, and then also a dye. You will also need fragrance oils or essential oils to add the scent. You would also need a skewer.
The Tools Needed
The tools needed are mostly in your kitchen. That is the stove and a double broiler. A thermometer would be handy to have a definite temperature. You would also need a glue gun which will be handy in the process.
Steps in Making:
- The first thing you will need is to put together the needed materials. This will include the scent of your choice.
- After that, if your wick is not pre-tabbed, you will need to tab them yourself. The advantage of this is it is cheaper and also you will get to decide the size of your candle, so it will not matter if you suddenly go with big or small.
- Now it is time to melt the wax. You will need to place it in a double broiler or if you do not have one, in a metal container over a pan. The preferred temperature would be 180 degrees in Fahrenheit, and it will be handy to use a thermometer for this to watch out for it.
- If the wax has been fully melted, remove it from the heat.
- Put in the dye. You can match the color with the scent if you want.
- Put in the fragrance oil or the essential oil for the scent.
- Then after all that, let the wax cool down.
- While letting it cool down, you could arrange your mold by putting in the wick. Glue in the stabilizer in the base of the jar to be more sturdy.
- Use a skewer to tie in the wick then put it in the top of the mold, so it will be in the center.
- Then after all that, pour your wax in the mold or a container.
- You will need to wait at least 24 hours to ensure that your candle solidifies.
- After it hardens, trim your wick in about quarter inch, and you are done.