The rules of the beauty game are always changing and I’m always looking forward to putting my best face forward no matter the current challenge.
I’ve always been a fan of more natural methods and they do seem to work better but sometimes it’s more about how you work what you’re working with. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trading in my oils or paraben free cleansers, but those only work if you know how to work them for your skin.
Here are the top 5 beauty rules I live by…daily
1. Wash it twice – I cleanse with a paraben free cleanser, like Pacifica’s Kale Detox Deep Cleansing Face Wash, and then I follow with oil cleansing using Moroccan Argan Oil. Generally it takes more than one go ’round to get mascara, foundation, powder and what ever else has been applied truly off your skin. Not a believer? Wash your face once and then swipe it along your hairline, jawline or eyelids with a cotton ball or cotton swab. Miss something?
2. Avoid sugar and processed foods – boxed food products and refined sugars are no friends to none but I wear them particularly well when I consume them so I just don’t eat them. And it isn’t easier said than done because I actually love having clear skin and a smaller waistline. I stopped eating sugar and other not so healthy foods cold turkey and dropped over 20 lbs in under two months. That was all before the workouts and crazy healthy smoothies. And I haven’t gained any of it back – I’d say those are results you can bet on.
3. Sleep on a satin pillowcase – this is something really new for me but extremely beneficial to my skin and hair. Cotton can, and does, basically suck the life out of my skin no matter how much moisturizer I’ve used so after a bit of research I settled on satin pillowcases for me and the husband. And as long as we’re talking about sleep – make sure you get more of it. I aim to be in bed by at least 10:00 pm nightly.
4. It’s possible you may need to skip the brushes – I don’t use makeup brushes for applying foundation – it can be a real pain without a handy dandy brush to apply foundation but my skin is really sensitive and the brush hairs can actually cause tiny scratches which leave my skin wide-open for bacteria that lead to breakouts. I haven’t used a foundation brush in over 5 months and it definitely has paid off.
5. Checking makeup ingredients twice – I am forever in the process of switching up my current products for healthier ones but my cheek areas are especially sensitive so I started off replacing those types of products in my cosmetics stash first. And I do truly throw away things that have gone bad, no matter how much I love it – every six months I purge anything that needs to go, cleansers, hair treatments, nail polish, mascara, lipsticks, moisturizers, etc. Think of it this way – if you haven’t used it in a year then you aren’t going to anyway so it’s safer for you to send it on a one way trip to the garbage.
What are some of your tried and true beauty rules to live by?